Welcome to Ganesan's world

"...show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long..."

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My life at Mumbai

I have lived in Mumbai for over 32 years and it has become a home away from home for me. Although I cannot talk Marathi fluently, I can follow when others speak and I have seen few Marathi cinemas ( I like especially V.Shantaram's movies like Pinjra) and dramas (I have watched few at Shivaji Mandir, Dadar). Marathi dramas are well advanced and are quite captivating. I have quite a few Marathi friends and I have found they are the most amicable, friendly people I have come across. They are simple people, very religious and at the same time they are modern as well. Marathi abhangs are great devotional songs and I know one or two.

For nearly ten years I stayed in Thane (East) and I used to commute by electric train to Ghatkopar, a very difficult station to get off especially during peak hours. Once during mansoon season as the train entered the platform I was pushed from behind and was forced to get down even when the train was in motion. I was just forced to enter into a fountain of water flowing from the roof of platform cover. I got drenched completely and had to go back home to get into dried cloths.

Once, when I was returning home by electric train, it was late night and the train had stopped before Thane station for a long time. I just went to the door to look out what is wrong. I found few people including a police man searching under the train with a torch and when they came to where I was standing. When they flashed the torch, right below there was a mutilated body lying. I could not sleep that night and even now the memory is haunting me with that sight. More to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home